Posted by Susan
Happeeee weeeekend :D I’m going to be straight up right off the bat here. I had a boring day! But, it was at least the first time I didn’t have to wake up to an alarm in 19 days, so that was a bonus. Slept in till 6:30. Woo! :P (there’s a note of sarcasm there, only crazy people use the term “sleep-in” and “6am” in the same sentence).
I woke up this morning knowing I wanted one thing and one thing only: custard oats. Then I opened my fridge to discover a near empty jar of almond butter. Sweet!
Looook into my nearemptyjarofalmondbutterrrrr…
And an upside down reflection.
Don’t forget to lick the lid!
I never used to eat the crusty nut butter at the bottom of the jar until HEAB taught me that pouring hot oatmeal in there makes it dreamy.
Caution: oats in a jar is very hot! I actually finished my coffee before I finished the oatmeal.
Gym didn’t open till 9am this morning, which seemed like an eternity. It was busy when I got there too! (9:15, didn’t want to be one of those annoying people who wait for them to unlock the door). Today was a full-body weightlifting day. I made it up as I went along, hopefully I can remember it all…
Started with 21 minutes sprint intervals on the elliptical.
|Wide-grip deadlift||60 lbs||8-12||3||Legs, back|
|Good morning||55 lbs||8-12||3||Hamstrings, back|
|Dumbbell fly||15 lb dumbbells||8-12||3||Chest|
|Dumbbell shoulder press||15 lb dumbbells||8-12||3||Shoulders|
|Plie squat||15 lbs||12||3||Quads, glutes|
|Single-leg deadlift||15 lb dumbbells||8 each leg||3||Hamstrings, glutes|
|Seated cable row||55 lbs||8-12||3||Back|
|Incline dumbbell shoulder press||20 lb dumbbells||8-12||3||Shoulders|
|Forward tricep extension||15 lbs||15||2||Triceps|
|Barbell 21s||20 lbs||21||2||Biceps|
|Medicine ball squat||11 lbs||12||2||Whole body|
|Russian twist||11 lbs||32||2||Abs|
|Lying medicine ball throw||Arms, chest|
|Hamstring curl on ball||bodyweight||12||2||Hamstrings, calves|
Phew! I think that covers it! It looks like a lot, but I was sort of all over the place. I know I probably should plan these things out. But then I get all stressed about remembering it all and getting the machines I need to get to. It’s a lot more fun to just go with it :)
I was a starvin’ marvin by the time I got home. I made something I never get to have during the workweek – a smoothie!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 big scoop plain yogurt
- 1 scoop IsoLean peach-mango protein powder
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 tsp each guar and xanthan gums
It’s important to get every last drop!!!
What would you call a smoothie stache on the forehead??
Smoothies go right through me, so lunch was shortly after.
The weather was absolutely gorgeous here today. There was no way I couldn’t take advantage of it! So I went for a walk along my favourite running trail late this afternoon. I was greeted with the usual view when I stepped out into my driveway.
Never gets old. Top three things I will miss about Fredericton when I move in June: 1) the river, 2) my gym, 3) my university.
I carried my camera around my neck a la Peter Parker and played around as I breathed in the fresh spring air.
I LOVE SPRING!!!!!
Spring is my favourite season. I love how everything just starts to come alive again after a long and harsh winter (albeit, this year wasn’t too bad). There’s a vibrancy in the air that you can feel, and everyone is more alive and friendly. And I love how inviting the warm sun is, even though the air still has that bite to it. Perfection.
When I got home, I reheated some turkey goulash from earlier in the week
Skipped the egg noodles and just had spaghetti squash, for no reason other than the fact that I have a mound of it in my fridge that needs to be eaten. Makes for wonderful leftovers :)
I wanted to flashback to past Easters this week, but, well, I have no photo evidence that the month of April exists. For the past 5 years, I have spent Easter weekend holed up writing end of term papers and studying for exams. Clearly, nothing worth taking photos of happened during that time. It’s actually quite weird not to be doing it this year!
Anyways, so I am instead flashing back to February 21, 2010 when I made mini egg cookies.
I almost wanted to call this flashback lame, but there is nothing lame about these cookies my friends. So far, my favourite of the Treat Monday treats. I urge you to make them for your Easter celebrations, or at least to use up that giant bag of Mini Eggs you got. Recipe is found here!
And with that, I’m off to bed. I am doing absolutely nothing this weekend, as both my parents are off travelling. I’m stuck in Fredericton bored out of my wits instead. I can’t wait to get out of this city!!!!!
Question of the Day: What’s your favourite thing about spring?
Posted by Susan
I loved hearing the things you guys (girls?) learned over the last month. Some made me giggle, but some also really made me think. The comments are always worth reading through! :)
Reader Jenn (hi!!) asked me what route I took for my 10 mile run. An excellent question, because I’m quite attached to my trail. When I transitioned from the treadmill to outdoor running this spring, I hated running outdoors. But I eventually learned it wasn’t running outside that I hated, just my route. I was running on sidewalks and busy streets, when my heart belonged on the trail! So today I brought my camera, and subsequently you, with me! :)
No nap was needed after work today (thanks Daylight Savings!) but I did fuel up with a tootsie pop first.
I’m lucky that my trail is literally across the street from my house. Was definitely a selling point for me when I found my new place.
I only see maybe a dozen people on my runs. Most are pretty friendly. Too bad the leaves have all fallen – would have been a lot prettier a couple weeks ago.
Part of the trail runs directly along the St. John River.
My hometown Moncton has a river that’s known as the “Chocolate River” because it’s so muddy and gross. So I never take the beauty of Fredericton’s river for granted.
The other side of the trail is littered with gorgeous homes. Some have beautiful backyards and gardens.
There’s also a little farm country along the way (I saw horsies on my 10 miler!)
And don’t worry mom, it’s not totally deserted! There’s an Irving gas station along the way (I am in New Brunswick after all…)
The worst part however comes on the last kilometre when I actually run past my house. I like to do a little loop, so I get a 7 minute cool-down walk in at the end.
This is usually where I start running fast. I can’t help it. My brain was all set to keep my pace for the last 5-6 minutes today, but my legs just started moving faster on their own! :P
This was supposed to be a 45 minute run, but turned into 50 minutes with the photo taking. I was running close to 9 minute miles the whole time too, so I actually covered close to 5 miles. I was feeling good after resting Friday then just doing yoga on Saturday.
I also have to share the stellar breakfast cookie I had this morning.
I’m not sure whether to call this a s’mores or fluffernutter breakfast cookie.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 scoop chocolate whey powder
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp Fluff
- 1/2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- splash almond milk
It was pretty decadent – even for me!
However, not all my eats were stellar today.
Store-bought apple sauce will never be the same now I’ve experienced the glory that is homemade apple sauce.
It was borderline gross. I think I’ll save this for baking and get a bag of apples for sauce-making asap.
Today also marks the start of a new month! Which means it’s time to set a new set of goals for the days ahead.
First, let’s check in and see what goals I set for October:
- Manage my time better so I get more out of my day.
- I kind of sucked at this one. It’s a work in progress!
- Continue using my new tiny kitchen to the fullest.
- Check! There was lots of activity in there last month :)
- Complete my first double-digit run
- Check!!! :D
- Do some freelance writing. Preferably paid.
- No check. Unfortunately, since I sucked at goal #1, I didn’t have time to set this up. But this is something I’d still like to continue to work on.
- Make a trip home.
- Does one meal at home count? How sad is that, especially since my hometown is only a 90 minute drive away. Luckily, I’m heading there on Tuesday, so we’ll just call this one “late” :)
- Get the guts to take a Zumba class.
- Check!! Glad I made this a goal, otherwise I would have continued to chicken out.
- Be more social. Join groups and reconnect with those I’ve lost touch with.
- This didn’t happen. However, I think quitting my job is a step in the right direction toward this. Hopefully, I’ll be able to join groups when I’m working normal hours for once.
Now, for November?
- Spend less on groceries. Seriously, time to batten down the hatches.
- Have fun workouts. No training plans this month, no workout stress!
- Be less complacent with food. This will be explained in further detail in tomorrow’s post.
- Get more sleep. This is an ongoing issue that I think is more than just scheduling and bad time management. There are reasons I can’t sleep, and it’s time to get to the bottom of it.
- Make it through the last month of work with a positive attitude.
- Try my best to not let anything hold me back.
- Figure out a way to get into the holiday season. I hate Christmas, but it would be nice to not be so miserable and grouchy about it this year.
- Spend more time with my grandparents. I am lucky to have three left, and they need to see more of my face, and I need to soak in more of their warmth and wisdom.
- Be more honest with people. I tend to sugar-coat things, and sometimes that does more harm than good.
- Look for a job. Not just for security, but one that will ignite some passion in me.
- Start playing music again. I haven’t picked up my guitar in seven months.
It’s quite the lofty list! Last month was my first month doing this, so I maybe didn’t take it as seriously as I should have. But this month I really want to commit myself to this. So every Sunday, I’m going to be checking in and updating on how they’re coming along.
Question of the day: What are your goals for November? Better make them good, I just might check in with you too! ;)