I’m on my weeekeennd!!! Tomorrow, I will be arriving here:
Sigh. One thing I will miss about the Maritimes is being so close to the ocean. My mommy always used to bring me to Halifax when I was a kid and ask me if I could see England :P
But let’s be realistic here, a good chunk of my time will be spent here:
But I’m getting ahead of myself here. It’s still Thursday!
I got up this morning for a cardio machine workout. I’ve been doing a lot of these lately because I lost my iPod. I used to run on the treadmill for my cardio days. But 60 minutes on the treadmill without music sounds mind-numbingly boring to me. So instead I did the now-usual 35 minutes intervals on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the rowing machine, 10 minutes on the stair mill. The elliptical intervals get my heart pumping, the rowing machine works my upper body and the stairmill does a number on my lower body. Perfection!
Then it was off to work for another successful cold breakfast.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 chopped apple
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
Another winner!! Well, as far as cold breakfasts go. We have a microwave at my office, but the room it’s in is always locked till later in the morning :(
Morning snack was a peanut butter & jelly Larabar.
Lunch was spectacular!!
I know, looks like a boring sandwich and orange. But for the sandwich I spread on 1 tbsp peanut butter then mixed 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder with a touch of water to make it into a thick goo. Then I spread it on the other slice of bread. Omg. So. Good. It tasted like nutella!! Plus, it was a great way to add some protein to a PB sandwich :)
Afternoon snack included baby carrots and Olive & Feta Hummus.
Also, I tried another Yogi tea in my attempts to be an office tea-drinker.
I expected this to taste like NeoCitran, but it was really good! More ginger-y than lemon-y. For some reason, I don’t like fresh ginger, but I love ginger-flavoured things. Plus, it totally cleared up my sinuses :)
Came home and tried something different for supper – parsnip fries!
And by “fries” I mean, “sliced in small strips and sprayed in oil, salt and paprika.” I do the same exact thing with all root veggies and call them “fries.”
Next to the fries was an egg scramble.
Aaalll together now!
This was only my second time using chipotle, and hot damn those things are… hot. My lips were burning! But I really enjoy the smoky taste of it. The parsnip fries were quite good as well. They hold up really nicely, and don’t get floppy like some other veggies tend to.
Well I wish I had more exciting things to ramble about, but I jut finished putting all the posts up for this weekend and I’m all blogged out! I will miss you guys this weekend… but not too much ;) Have a great Valentine’s Day! <3
Question of the Day: What’s your favourite spice? Four of the C’s get the most use in my kitchen – Cinnamon, Chili, Curry and Cumin. Sometimes all together! ;)
Hello friends!! Thank you sosososo much for all the kind words on my last post. Physically, I am feeling much better. My glute soreness has been downgraded from severe to just high. I got up and showered today, grocery shopped, cleaned and interacted with the outside world :)
Mentally, I’m still a little drained. There are a lot of things I have to adjust to, but I
think know I will be better for it.
In other news, I am completely obsessed with custard oats. They’re all I want for breakfast when I have time to make them. This morning, I decided to see if the deliciousness transferred to oatbran.
- 1/2 cup oatbran
- 2 cups water
- 1 whole egg (whisked into pot at start of cooking)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (splashed in intermittently)
- 2 chopped dates
- 1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
I remember Leah mentioning a long time ago that she eats oats in shallow bowls because it cools quicker and you get more toppings in each bite. I’ve been trying it out lately, and I would have to agree!
My morning was uneventful. Finally caught up on my MTV watching (already love the new Real World!) and did some stuff for work. I wanted to clear up the rest of my fridge for lunch to make room for groceries today. The only three fresh things in there were egg whites, cottage cheese and baked beans. Here’s what I came up with…
Egg white frittata with cottage cheese and frozen veggies. I also found a lonely slice of swiss cheese that I threw on top. The beans on the side. Oh, and I may have smothered the eggs in hot sauce ;)
I spent soooo much money at the grocery store. I would say food shopping is definitely my form of retail therapy. I did more fridge-clearing once I got home, finishing up the carrot protein sqaures topped with laughing cow cheese, cinnamon and sugar. In the back are the tiniest mandarins I’ve ever seen.
Wee tiny wedge!!!
A nice fruit for munching mindlessly. Might make their way into to a salad if they last that long ;)
Minutes after polishing off last week’s protein bars, I got started on a fresh batch for this week! I poured over various recipes, and ended up just doing a variation of the breakfast cookie.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- ~ 3/4 cup water
All mushed up in a bowl, flattened into a 9×9 pan, and stuck in the freezer till hard. Then I cut them into 8 pieces and wrapped them up for the week.
The stats are pretty stellar: 190 calories, 7g fat, 18g carbs, 2g sugar, 3g fibre, 15g protein. I think they’ll need to be kept in the freezer, but that’s fine by me. I’ll just put it on top of an ice pack in my lunch bag :)
Dinner was one of my favourites – roast chicken!
I make a really basic roast chicken. Stuffed it with lemon wedges and garlic, then rubbed salt and pepper on top. Baked at 425 F for 90 minutes. Easy peasy (and that’s coming from a former vegetarian!)
Veggies were roasted zucchini, carrots and parsnips.
This was my first time trying parsnips!! (or not, mom, you can correct me on that one). The consensus on Twitter was that roasted is the best way to have them. I loved the texture. Tough on the outside, mushy on the inside. They’re almost like a starchier version of turnip (or rutabaga?). Next time, they’ll get the fries and ketchup treatment ;)
So seeing as life has been a little rocky lately, I thought it would be prefect timing to participate in the Happy 101 game Tam tagged me in.
The rules are to list 10 things that make me happy then pick 10 other people to do the same! First, my list:
- Mornings in bed. My ideal day starts off with breakfast in bed, the Today show, blog reading, and then a trip to the gym. I got attached to it while taking evening classes in university.
- My remote car starter. Sure, I’m polluting the environment and wasting gas, but it’s pretty sweet getting into a warm car with a clear windshield on a frigid day.
- The last second of a sprint. I love that moment when I’m giving it 110% in a sprint, be it on the bike, running, or elliptical, and I get to that last second and slow down. It’s a mixture of “omg I’m going to die,” “omg I’m going to live,” and “omg I can’t believe I did that.”
- Pigeon pose. If it were socially acceptable, I would work at my desk in pigeon pose. I want to live in it.
- Children’s fantasy books. Yes, they are my favourite genre. Yes, this includes Harry Potter and Twilight. His Dark Materials series, Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, I love them all.
- The first day of spring. And by that I mean the first day of the year I wear flats. Usually a little earlier than I should, as I always end up stepping in some slush. But it’s always a moment of hope knowing the long, harsh winter is over and nothing but warm days are ahead.
- The recovery shake/meal. I love coming home from a tough workout and replenishing my system with delicious food. It tastes better, digests better, and just makes me feel good about my body.
- Dogs. Particularly, roughhousing with them on the floor. You know what I’m talking about. When you get down on the floor and start teasing them so they bark and wag their tail. Good times.
- Clean bedsheets. Ahhhhhh…..
- Making delicious food and sharing it with others. I love most of the things I cook for myself. But it’s awesome when others do too. It puts a huge smile on my face whenever someone clearly enjoys something I’ve made :D
So in order to pass the happy thoughts along, I’m going to pick 10 random people who commented on my last post to participate:
Can’t wait to read what makes you ladies happy too! :D
I’ve also decided to tweak my weekly workout plan a little. I’m going to be switching out my Friday lower-body workout with an at-home bike trainer + workout DVD session. This way I’ll only be getting up super early to go to the gym two of my five work days. To me, that sounds super doable, and hopefully keep me from burning out. We’ll see how it goes this week!
Last but not least, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!!!
Tomorrow is a B-I-G day around these parts. Make sure you stop in for some bloggie fun, mm-kay? ;) Can’t wait – see ya then!!
Question of the Day: What puts a smile on your face?