Erm, Happy Monday? Or Tuesday, if that’s when you’re reading this. Then I’m sorry, because Tuesdays suck more than Mondays. Is it Waffle Wednesday yet??
So I’m not 100% better today. My body is still producing snot at a high rate. But the rest of me feels okay, so I got up in the minus million celsius weather to go to spin class this morning. Not gonna lie, it was hard to do with a cold! There were a few other people blowing their noses and hacking up gross stuff along with me. I kinda felt like we had a secret hardcore bond, and felt each other’s pain after each brutal hill climb. I also burned 499 calories in 60 minutes. What’s up with that?
Showered at the gym and went straight to work. Got there at 7:50 am!! I kinda like the quiet hours before everyone arrives. I get to enjoy a quiet breakfast and take my time preparing for the day ahead.
Breakfast was another go at overnight oats. Well, kinda.
- 200g plain yogurt (3/4 cup?)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- lots and lots of cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup coconut chia granola
The applesauce helped and made the consistency much better! Still didn’t keep me full though.
Luckily, I had a PB&J homemade granola bar to keep me going till lunch.
These are TAS-TEE. But the consistency is off. The jam added more moisture than I anticipated so they’re a little on the gooey side.
Lunch was as boring as boring gets.
Tuna salad (with capers) in a pita and a naval orange. Snore.
I was hungry again soon after and dug into my next snack early.
Yoplait Source muesli yogurt cup and a Kashi blackberry cereal bar.
And a touch of snobbery.
Although, I guess the classiness is brought down by the fact that I drank it out of a can.
This snack powered me through the next four hours! Not bad eh? I couldn’t help it, I got lost in the aisles of the grocery store after work. Happens every time. Came home to a quick dinner featuring this:
Turned into this…
My evening snack was another bar (I try to limit myself to one a day), but I just had to try this new flavour!
Okay, the Kashi Dark Mocha Almond chewy granola bar is a “new to me” flavour.
I really liked it! I could smell the coffee flavour as soon as I opened the package (which is saying a lot, as I’m really stuffed up). It was still kinda bland like all the chewy bars are, but hey, you can never go wrong with chocolate and coffee. Except when there’s chocolate chips on top. They always fall off and melt in the most unfortunate of places.
I also just realized that of the six meals I ate today, only two of them didn’t contain oats. At least I’m getting lots of grains?
Goals For February
So this is something I used to do every month, but took January off. My goal for January was just to start my new job and “survive” the month. Besides a few close calls, I’d say I did that :) So what’s in store for February you ask??
1. Work out no more than 6 hours a week. You see, I have a bad habit of doing long ass workouts every single day. Then I get run down and sick and have to take a whole weekend off doing nothing to recover (ahemlastweekend). So my goal for this month is to find a balance between reaching my fitness goals and accidentally overtraining.
2. Say yes more. I’m awful for making up lame excuses to get out of doing things. This month, I’m going to say yes more when people ask me to do something. Hopefully I’ll get some new wonderful experiences out of it!
3. Make more leftovers. I have a tendency to make a lot of single-serving meals. Now that I have a microwave at work, it would be pretty sweet to just grab leftovers instead of making a big lunch every night.
4. Eat more fat. This is a big one and I’m going to dedicate a whole post to it tomorrow. A lot of people mentioned in my last post that they too need more fat in their diets. Well Emily and I have decided to initiate a little challenge to make it a Fatty February ;) Our hair and skin will all be shining by the end of it!
There ya go. Not really ground breaking goals compared to some of my old ones. But I know I can accomplish every single one of these. And they’re all important in making the next month not only run more seamlessly, but be more fun!!
Question of the Day: What are your goals for the month? Big or small, write them down. I’ll be checking in every Sunday!
Oooh, exciting things in store my friends! It’s all at the end though. I won’t be hurt if you scroll through, but just know you are missing out on a lot of muffin and apple pictures if you do :P
Apparently, my camera uses a lot of battery power while not being used, because the batteries were randomly dead this morning. Thus, no office eats! You’re not missing much. I dropped a raw egg on the break room floor while trying to make lunch. I almost cried. I never thought I could be so attached to one egg.
I made up for it when I got home though :)
Usual frozen deep chocolate vitamuffin with a smear of PB. But what’s that white stuff you ask?
Oh yes. I did.
I was actually on a mission for mini marshmallows, as I thought they’d make a great addition to my candy bowls of oats. But then this jar caught my eye, and I was sold.
I mean for something that’s essentially sugar, the ingredients aren’t that bad. I’m pretty sure the M&Ms I’ve been eating are worse…
I can blame an ex-boyfriend for introducing me to this dreamy product, and the fluffernutter sandwich. This was the kind of stuff that was never allowed in my house growing up.
Some people do ice cream. I do fluff :P
The muffins didn’t stop there though. I finally attacked the bag of macoun apples I bought at the market last weekend.
The only changes I made were that I omitted the raisins and walnuts for more apple-y goodness, and substituted a 1/2 cup of flour for 1/2 cup rolled oats.
I of course had one immediately out of the oven, with some Earth Balance spread (the only way to eat baked goods straight from the oven in my opinion).
While all that muffin business was going down, I was also working on some of Brie’s applesauce. Three ingredients: apples, water, cinnamon. Doesn’t get much easier than that! Well, actually, it was quite labour intensive to peel and chop a dozen apples. May have helped if I didn’t break my apple corer last year trying to get it through a gigantic honeycrisp…
Yay flash photography!
Okay, to be honest, I really wanted to add a shot of whiskey to this process. Doesn’t whiskey apple sauce sound awesome? I held back though. That will be for my special “after lunch” batch ;)
The end product was amaaaaazing.I kept dipping a spoon in here to lick it up :)
Afterwards, it looked like an apple orchard exploded in my kitchen. So once the clean-up was finished, I wanted a simple dinner.
- mixed greens
- shredded carrot
- spanish onion
- red pepper
- lemon juice
- Gardein mustard “chicken breast”
Eaten while tweeting and msn-ing.
Today was my first day using tweetdeck, I like it!
Oh, and another apple oatmeal muffin for dessert…
With peanut butter. Yes that is my third muffin today! It could have been worse, I could have put Fluff on this one too! :P
Okay. Congrats, you’ve made it to the end.
Oh wait! it’s in a video!
(turn you speakers WAY up for this one)
So in case you couldn’t hear, I’m giving away a free jar of almond hazelnut butter!
This stuff is seriously, seriously good. The two nuts blend together perfectly to create a rich and versatile nut butter.
I’m kinda jealous that I’m giving this away, because I think it would taste really good on my mocha oats!
So how do you win??
1. Leave a comment telling me what your favourite nut butter + food combination is. For example, some of my favourite combos are cashew butter + dates, peanut butter + bananas, or sunflower seed butter in hummus!
2. Tweeeeeet a link to this post. Just include @balancesusan so I know ya did.
3. Link back to this post on your blog.
4. Add me to your blogroll and leave an extra comment saying you did (or that I’m on your blogroll already).
So there ya go! It’s open to anyone and everyone no matter where you live. I’ll be taking entries until Tuesday, October 27 at 5pm Eastern time. I’ll announce the winner in Tuesday night’s post.
Now I’m off to go do some more food experimenting. That’s what weekends are for! :)