Ooohhhh maannnn. Anyone else have a rough Monday? I think it was a combination of having a busy weekend, plus the time change. I didn’t have a great sleep last night and felt like a cranky zombie until about 2pm. Spin class didn’t even do it for me. It was far more torturous than it usually is. In fact, most people had that “just been run over by a truck look.”
Oh, and my day totally got started off on the wrong foot. I went to put my contacts in first thing this morning, except, they weren’t in the case. I dug my finger all through the solution and couldn’t find them. After a couple minutes, I realized they were still in my eyes. Even worse, they’d been in since Saturday!! I woke up with crusty eyes Sunday morning and briefly thought I was getting pink eye. Then I forgot all about it and wore my glasses all day! Then I woke up with super dry and crusty eyes again today and was really grossed out realizing they were still on my eyeballs. *shudder*
Aaaanyways, moving on! Desk-breakfast was solid today. I’m finally starting to get used to these! (I used to hate cold breakfasts)
Lunch was the exact same salad I had last night, just in giant tupperware.
Highlights of the salad were definitely the pickled beets and tzatziki. SO good! It also contained pieces of my first ever attempt at cooking pork. I over-cooked it, which I suppose is better than under-cooking it :\ I picked it up because two pork tenderloins were one-third the price of two chicken breasts. Holy shit.
Highlight of the day definitely came at 2pm (when my mood improved!). My boss lent me his car to run an errand and had The Beatles’ Rubber Soul album in the CD player. I cranked it, rolled down the window to let the spring air in, and sang along to Think For Yourself. Good times :)
Dinner was, ahem, “inspired” by this magazine I stole from my mom’s house (busted) which you can get for free at Sobey’s. (Canadian grocery store)
From the website:
1 cup Compliments Balance Tomato & Herbs Pasta Sauce, divided
1/3 cup dry unseasoned bread crumbs (I used panko)
1 egg, beaten
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried Compliments Italian Seasoning (I used Kirkland no-salt seasoning)
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 lb extra lean ground beef (I used extra-lean ground turkey)
1 cup Compliments Finely Shredded Pizza Cheese Blend (used 3/4 cup Kraft shredded old cheddar)
2 cups assorted vegetables such as sliced onion, red and green peppers and mushrooms (I used artichoke hearts, onions, mushrooms, yellow pepper, spinach and tomatoes)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place 3 tbsp (45 mL) pasta sauce in a large bowl; stir in bread crumbs, egg, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Crumble in the beef and mix gently to combine. Press evenly onto a 12-inch (30 cm) rimmed pizza pan.
- Spread the remaining sauce evenly over the beef. Sprinkle with cheese and top with vegetables. Bake, on the lowest rack, for 15 to 20 min. or until the pizza is set and the cheese is bubbly. Cut into wedges and serve.
My kitchen takes crappy photos, but I wanted to get a shot of it as a “pie” :)
The yumminess in some natural light with steamed veggies topped with coconut…
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS. This was so good. If you like meatloaf, make it now!!!
I went back for seconds ;)
Okay, it’s Monday, which means it’s time to check in on my March Goals:
1. Work on getting my car sold and apartment subletted. Apartment is 85% subletted! I have someone who has offered to take it, but I still need to get a deposit and signature from him (should be Wednesday). As soon as that happens, then it’s officially done! I also cleaned out my car and took pictures of it yesterday, so I’ll be posting ads for it soon too.
2. Apply for a bazilion jobs in Toronto. Definitely lagging on this. But I’m not stressing about it that much. I know no matter what I do, I’ll have enough money to at least survive, so that’s comforting…
3. Take more initiative at work so I can finish my contract knowing I made a mark. I’ve been really busy at work, but people are at least noticing the time and effort I put into it, which means a lot :)
4. Learn as much as I can about personal training. I lagged on this last week! I still have to complete my online lessons, which will be time consuming. Hoping to get that done in the evenings this week – I start my in-class learning this Saturday at a gym in Saint John!!
5. Run outdoors again. CHECK!! I got three, surprisingly “easy,” miles in on Saturday. I’m hoping to get another outdoor run in after work this Wednesday :)
Question of the Day: How are you doing on your goals for this month?
Bonus question: Do you sing in the car? I do. No shame.
I’m seeing everything with new eyes today – I got contacts!! That’s right my friends! My position on the “nerd scale” has officially been downgraded (unfortunately not eliminated – my love for Harry Potter and Alton Brown will never allow that).
I got glasses two years ago for seeing far away. I became pretty reliant on them and just started wearing them all the time. But sometimes I’d like to go see a band, or be on TV, without looking like a dork. Also, now I can wear sunglasses when biking and driving. Yay!
I lovelovelove all the suggestions I got for sleeping well. As promised, here’s a little summary of the tips left in the comments:
- Turn off the TV and computer and take 10-30 minutes to relax and unwind
- Focus on breathing, relaxing your body from your toes to the top of your head (this reminds me a lot of corpse pose in yoga!)
- Stick to a schedule, go to bed at the same time every night
- Instead of counting sheep, count the things you’re grateful for
- Melatonin. A natural hormone found in many foods and also sold as a supplemental sleep aid
- Put a little lavender oil on your pillow and sheets
- Make a to-do list and organize everything you need to do the next day so you’re not up worrying about it
- Drink some warm milk
- Cut back on caffeine
Okay, seriously you guys, I am so impressed. These are all awesome suggestions! Many I’ve heard and tried, but just reminds me there are tons of options for when I can’t sleep. I can’t wait to try these!! Wait, no, I hope I don’t need to try these, but you know what I mean ;)
I slept in the opposite direction again last night and got some good zzz’s in. Stumbled out of bed at 6 am and went to the campus gym. I wonder how long I’ll be able to go there until they realize I’m no longer a student??
5 minutes on the elliptical
15 minutes “MIIT” on the elliptical
15 minutes on the rowing machine
Alternating (3 sets each):
Wide-grip lat pull-down
Dumbbell prone Cuban snatch
Alternating (3 sets each):
Didn’t do any lower-body stuff just in case my thigh acted up again. It’s feeling pretty good now though, so I may do a lower-body workout this weekend. We’re supposed to get a hurricane, so biking is out of the question this weekend!
You’ll never guess what I had for breakfast after…
Waffles, PB, yogurt, blueberries. Paired this with a PVL peach whey cooler. I finished off the jar of PB, except it’s in a plastic jar! So I couldn’t do oats-in-a-jar with it, total bummer!! I should write President’s Choice and tell them that they need to start using glass jars so I can put my oats in there :P
Supper was so good last night, I prepared the same thing for lunch today:
Eaten in my work car (hence the pasty leg in the background). Mashed up tofu, laughing cow cheese and green onion on whole wheat with spinach and tomato. So simple and SO good.
I had melt-in-your-mouth-peach that almost melted away from the camera.
Hm. Does half-eaten food even look appetizing?
I still had tofu on the mind come suppertime, so I polished off the rest of the block for dinner. I made a salad mountain.
Still don’t believe me?
I don’t know why, but salads don’t taste as good to me when eaten out of a huge bowl. Too bad, because I bet it’s a lot less messy!
- peeled zucchini (last of the giant market stuff)
- peeled carrot
- tofu, cubed and sautéed
- nutritional yeast
- sundried tomato dressing
Needed more hummus :P
A prune. Fun fact: I have a little sumthin-sumthin after dinner every night. Sometimes it’s a small piece of dark chocolate, a hard candy, chocolate chips, PB on a cracker, or a piece of dried fruit (dates and figs are good too!). Some people like to do larger desserts, but I prefer to save those calories for my large bedtime snack. But I still need something a little sweet after supper ;)
Okay, I have a bunch of random questions for you today:
1. What time do you usually eat supper? I eat around 5-6 pm, and I notice a lot people in the blog world eat much later! I am part senior citizen though…
2. How often do you replace the battery in your heart rate monitor? Mine’s been acting up, and I’m wondering if it needs new juice…
3. Do you wear glasses and/or contacts? Do you have a preference?
That’s all I got in me tonight! I should go move my kitchen table back into the kitchen (don’t ask..) but I may end up eating a frozen Vitamuffin and catching up on my Google Reader instead. See ya tomorrow!