Eeee!!!! I am officially on vacation!!! Just finished working the world’s loooongest closing shift. Now I don’t work again till next Tuesday!!! I’m leaving for my hometown tomorrow afternoon. It’s only a 90 minute drive, but I’m praying the snow lets up so the roads are clear by then!
Anyways, despite my excitement, I am seriously sleep deprived. I was up way too early this morning to fill my empty tummy.
Pecan protein pancakes!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice
- 2-3 tbsp roasted pecan pieces
All blended up and cooked to deliciousness. Seriously, this was an awesome batch.
I was feeling kinda “meh” about the gym today, but it was just pure laziness. I dragged my butt over there and got my weight workout in. Trying to beef up the weight lifting – gotta look the part of a personal trainer too! ;)
10 minutes on the stairmill
10 minutes on the rowing machine
A1 – Squat w/ heels raised on plates:
3 sets @ 30 lbs x 10
A2 – Dumbbell shoulder press:
3 sets @ 15 lbs ea x 10
B1 – Step-up:
3 sets @ 40 lbs x 10
B2 – Underhand grip lat pulldown:
3 sets @ 50 lbs x 12
C1 – Horizontal woodchop:
3 sets @ 35 lbs x 10
C2 – Back extension:
3 sets @ 4kg x 10
C3 – Hanging leg raises:
3 sets @ bw x 10
15 minutes on elliptical, 1 minute sprints, 2 minutes recovery
I went down in weights a little so I could focus on my form today. I like doing this from time to time, keeps me in check ;)
Was a hungry hungry hippo, and running late for work by the time I made it home. Whipped up a quick lunch.
Two scrambled eggs, onion, red pepper, spinach, laughing cow and Franks hot sauce on a Lavash wrap. Couple small tangerines on the side. Clementines are better.
Then it was off to work, which was surprisingly not that busy tonight!! Even though I was running late, I still threw together a packed supper before leaving. No five-buck sub for me tonight.
Obviously, as simple as it gets. Hummus + tuna sandwich and a pear. There were obviously snacks in there too. Including a short nonfat sugar-free hazelnut steamed milk and an unsweetened black iced tea lemonade.
Ever since returning to work at Starbucks, I’ve been fielding a few questions about what kind of drinks I would suggest. Both Lara and Averie suggested I do a “Starbucks Tutorial” of sorts to clear things up!
First, I published a list of Starbucks How-To’s a while back with tips to order smart. But today I’ll get a little more detailed so you reeeeally know what you’re doing ;)
First, lets start with the basics – espresso.
Sources for images can be accessed by clicking on the picture.
Espresso is essentially condensed coffee. A little bit of water run through densely-packed coffee grinds. It actually doesn’t contain as much caffeine as most people think. One shot, or 1 oz, has about the same caffeine as 6 oz regular brewed coffee. However, drinking it straight can mean you’re consuming your caffeine more quickly – so you may get a bit of a head rush!
Next up is the latte. The latte is the heart of every Starbucks drink. They may sound fancy and complicated, but they are really just different flavoured lattes.
A latte is just espresso + steamed milk and a lovely dollop of milk foam on top. That’s it!
Starbucks uses flavoured syrups in all their drinks. Anything like a pepermint mocha, gingerbread latte or caramel macchiato are just lattes with said syrups added for flavouring.
Every store is different, but here are the syrups my store is currently offering:
- Vanilla, Sugar-Free Vanilla
- Caramel, Sugar-Free Caramel
- Hazelnut, Sugar-Free Hazelnut
- Cinnamon Dolce, Sugar-Free Cinnamon Dolce
- Toffee Nut
- Classic (an unflavoured simple sugar syrup)
- Caramel Brule
- Mocha (a rich chocolate sauce)
- White mocha (another “sauce”)
Now, one thing that confuses people the most about Starbucks are our weird cup sizes. There are four, although the smallest isn’t usually advertised.
How much syrup, coffee and milk goes into these cups depends on size. I’ve made a handy-dandy chart for you to understand it. It must be known that 1 pump of syrup = 0.25 oz and 1 shot of espresso = 1 oz.
So if it’s the caffeine you’re after, you can get away with a short instead of a tall, or a grande instead of a venti.
The iced sizes are almost the same, but the iced venti cups are 24 oz, 6 pumps and 3 shots. It’s a beast of a size.
There are three more drinks worth mentioning. A cappuccino.
Ha, not all of them are pink!!! I chose this picture because you can clearly see the distinction between the milk and foam. While a latte is espresso and milk with just a dollop of foam, a cappuccino is espresso + half milk + half foam. Usually, you just “free pour” the milk into the cup (i.e. don’t hold foam back with spoon) and the milk and foam will naturally separate like this. They’re a little stronger tasting because there’s less milk to dilute the espresso.
There’s also an Americano.
This is just espresso + hot water. Almost like a stronger tasting coffee (except so much better!)
Finally, the Misto.
This is half brewed coffee + half steamed milk. Sort of like a weaker version of the latte, but also lower cal because it has less milk.
Okay, so how can you take all this info to order yourself a drink? You can…
- Ask for different milk – skim, soy, lactaid or eggnog
- Ask for a sugar-free syrup
- Ask for less or more pumps of syrup
- Add a syrup flavour to a plain drink, or try combining flavours
- Ask for one less or one extra shot of espresso
- Turn your coffee or tea into a misto
- Ask for more foam or extra foam (extra foam will cut the cals a little too)
- Ask for no whipped cream (or extra!)
- Ask for it in decaf, or just get it without the espresso
So hopefully that helps!! I know there is a lot of “lingo” involved at Starbucks, but that’s really designed to help the baristas, not scare away customers. With this information, I can decide I want a latte with a mix of SF Vanilla and Caramel syrup, skim milk, an extra shot of espresso and extra foam (yes, that’s one of my fave drinks!). It doesn’t matter if I can call that out as a “double-tall-sugar-free-vanilla-caramel-nonfat-extra-foam-latte.” All you need to do is double check with your cashier and barista to make sure they got all your requests!
Question of the Day: What is/would be your Starbucks drink?
P.S. I will be maintaining a somewhat regular posting schedule while home for the holidays. I’m bringing my laptop and my mom has wireless internet. It might not be at the usual time, but short updates will be going up! It will give me an excuse to take a small break from the family craziness everyday ;)
Hey everyone!! Well, as promised, here are my morning workout tips! Most of you know I’m a big fan of getting up mega early and doing my workout before my day’s commitments. I assure you, I haven’t always been a morning person. But these are some of the things that helped me acclimatize. Read on!
The day before:
- Don’t workout after work Tuesday, then expect to wake up before work on Wednesday for another tough workout. Two workouts within 12 hours is hard, and tiring. Try to allow 24 hours between your workouts.
- Mentally prepare yourself for your routine the next day. Keep reminding yourself that you’ll be up a little earlier to work out the next day, instead of ignoring it or putting it out of your mind.
The night before:
- Prepare every last detail. Get your pre-workout snack ready, any coffee you need/want to drink beforehand. I even fill up the water jug in my fridge so there’s lots to hydrate with.
- Get your clothes/gear ready. I put my workout clothes, down to my underwear and socks, at the end of my bed. On days I’m especially tight on time, I’ll even sleep in my workout clothes. I pack a bag with my wallet, iPod, water bottle, sweat rag and sneakers to grab on my way out the door.
- I don’t wash my mascara off the night before so I still have a little bit on when I go to the gym in the morning. This way I’m not technically putting make-up on to go to the gym. But at the same time, it keeps me from looking like death at 5am. I have no shame in admitting to this technique.
- If I know I’ll be tight on time in the morning, I’ll prepare my breakfast and food for work the night before too. (I live close enough to my gym that I can come back home and shower before going to work).
The morning of:
- Don’t waste time laying in bed!!! I keep my alarm clock on the other end of my bed, so I have to sit up and crawl to turn it off. Do not lay back down at this point!!! That grogginess feeling wears off after 15 minutes or so. Do not let it fool you into thinking you’re too tired (unless you actually slept for 4 hours. Then go back to bed).
- The first thing I do is put my gym clothes on. It’s hard to talk myself out of it once I’m up and in those clothes.
- Drink at least 16 oz of water. I always wake up feeling super dehydrated, so this one is easy for me. I chug a glass every morning anyways. But if there’s one thing you should remember in your morning routine, it’s this one. Working out in a dehydrated state is not cool.
- Have a small snack and caffeine (if you swing that way). This is the difference between a stellar workout and a “meh.” workout for me.
My pre-workout snack is usually around 100-150 calories consisting of nut butter + simple sugar and sometimes a complex carb. Since I start activity about 15 minutes after this snack, the sugar is more effective for energy than the complex carb, but that complex carb can be important for sustained energy. Examples:
Dates + PB
1/2 Banana + PB
1/2 Banana + PB + toast
Smooshed dates + PB + wasa bread.
I don’t vary a lot from these combos because it they always sit well in my tummy and give me lots of energy! Doesn’t mean it will work for you, so I encourage lots of experimenting on your part to find that magic combo :)
The real magic though, is my iced coffee.
This is my secret weapon to morning workouts. I make a french press the night before and stick it in the fridge. In the morning, I mix half of the french press with almond milk and stevia (in my Jamaican frosty mug, of course). The coffee and snack is downed in about 5 minutes flat, and that’s when my energy soars. I practically bound out the door at that point! (the other half of the french press is consumed with breakfast)
So there you have it! I assure you, I never used to be a morning person. In fact, I have old blog entries to prove that fact. But the good of working out first thing far outweighs the negative!
- I get the luxury of coming straight home after work and have the time to prepare a nice dinner
- I don’t have to spend a good chunk of my day battling mentally whether or not I should go to the gym after work like planned
- Working late, or other unexpected reasons don’t get in the way
- I have the whole day to replenish my hunger, instead of an evening workout where I spend the rest of the night starving
- I get to strut around all day knowing I ran 5 miles while most of my coworkers were still asleep ;)
As a side note, I find my best workouts are often in the morning. Personally, my body performs best when there’s less food and stress from the day to wear me down.
And because I can’t leave you without any fun food from the day – I tried a lamb burger! Chris and I went to our favourite restaurant, Isaac’s Way.
I almost went for a “lighter option” on the menu. But this burger is what I really wanted, and I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied without! So I opted for a side salad and got the burger in all its glory. It was delicious. The pecan spread was amazing with the goat cheese. I couldn’t detect a huge difference with the lamb though. The bun overpowered the meat a little.
Chris got one of his standbys.
Nachos bathed in horrible flash photography.
We were hungry.
After dinner, we went Christmas shopping – for me!!
I upgraded from my old Motorola Razr to an LG Xenon :D Phone cost me $10 with a rebate, and I get the browser on it for only an extra $5 a month. HOLY DEAL! I can also e-mail and Twitter from it. I’m in nerdy heaven :)
Lastly, I just gotta tell y’all that I brought my own ingredients to make a banana Chocolate Amazing Meal smoothie at work today. Pretty sure it was the healthiest smoothie I’ve ever had out of a Starbucks cup ;) My co-workers already think I’m crazy.
Hope you all enjoy your Friday!!!
Question of the Day: When is your favourite time of the day to work out? If I’m running, I do it best as soon as I wake up. But other activities I prefer to do a couple hours after a hearty breakfast. Come afternoon, I just start to drag.
Well hello there! How is everybody doing? How is your airway? Your breathing? It’s okay, I’m a trained First Aid responder.
CPR is actually only a fraction of it. I can also now dress and bandage any wound imaginable. I also learned that “RICE” now stands for Rest, Isolate, Cold and Elevate. They changed the acronym so they have an excuse to make people go back and pay for the course again :P
Before all that though, I was up in the middle of the night (5:30) for a jaunt on the treadmill at the gym. I don’t always photograph the small snack I eat before my a.m. workouts, but I need to eat something as soon as I get out of bed or I die.
Butt-end piece of bread with PB&J and my secret weapon to early morning workouts – iced coffee. I guzzle this back in less than five minutes and it’s like a jolt of energy to my veins that carries me through my workout. I know some people are iffy about caffeine, but I really like having a little before workouts as a performance booster.
I went for the usual 5-mile speed run. I’m going to get sick of this eventually, but so far I still love it :)
On a 1% incline:
2 min @ 3.2 mph
3 min @ 3.7 mph
5 min @ 5.6 mph
10 min of 1 min intervals alternating between 6.0 & 6.4 mph
10 min of 1 min intervals alternating between 6.2 & 6.6 mph
10 min of 1 min intervals alternating between 6.4 & 6.8 mph
10 min of 1 min intervals alternating between 6.6 & 7.0 mph
5 min @ 5.6 mph
3 min @ 3.7 mph
2 min @ 3.2 mph
I cannot believe that 7.0 mph is almost a “normal” speed for me now. At this exact same time last year, I would regularly do this same treadmill workout and my highest speed was 6.4 mph! Crazy. Sometimes I get so focused on improving my current fitness, I forget how much I’ve already improved!
I still had PB&J on my mind once I made it back to my apartment, so I incorporated it into my oats.
Leftover steel cut oats (ccoked with banana & vanilla protein powder) topped with awesome peanut butter and jam.
Natur all natural 100% peanut butter and Crofter’s strawberry jam. Y’all know I’ve been having a love affair with Crofter’s. But I’m pretty sure of all the jams out there, plain ole strawberry is my favourite. I’ve been wanting to try this peanut butter for a while (I think my dad used to buy it?) and it was on sale so I finally splurged. SO worth it! I love my nut butters crunchy and natural. No salt, no sugar, extra chunks please :)
Then it was off to first aid class, with the luxury of a 90 minute lunch break to come home and make lunch.
I kept up the yummy theme for dinner. Stuffed a chicken breast with peanut butter hummus and put in on top a bed of sauteed kale, spinach, garlic, mushrooms, onions and green pepper.
With a baked sweet potato covered in cottage cheese.
Aaallll together now…
Solid meal, I loved it :)
So starting tomorrow, I am officially a full-time employee at Starbucks. Scary! I’m not sure how long I’m going to stick it out there. After Christmas, I need to get my butt in gear and try to find a sub-let for my apartment. I reallyreally want to move back home. But I just didn’t feel like I could get my act together in time to do it before Christmas. The Starbucks job is essentially just a way to pay the bills until I figure out a way to get outta here! In a couple months, I’m hoping to move back home with my mom for a little bit until I get my feet on the ground. We’ll see! I just want to make sure I do not do anything that will tie me down to my current city any more than I already am. No more commitments or I’ll never leave! :P
Alrighty, time for me to study bioenergetics concepts and watch the Biggest Loser finale. See ya tomorrow for some waffles!
Question of the Day: What’s your favourite kind of jam? Favourite nut butter? As mentioned above, strawberry jam is my favourite, but blueberry gets a close second. As for nut butters, I love them all, but natural crunchy PB will always have a hold on my heart (ahem, tastebuds).