Happy Pancake Sunday!
This post accidentally went up on Saturday. That’s because Ecto hates me. Or because it knows I hate it. Hm.
Anyways, there is a reason why you haven’t seen pancakes or waffles on this blog lately. It’s because my morning sweet tooth is gone. The chemo has killed it! Gone are the days of chocolate oatmeal and fluffernutter waffles. Bring on the bacon and fried egg sandwiches. The saltier the better.
I sucked it up this weekend because I wanted to make something somewhat healthy to share with my family. Okay, okay, and because we’re running out of eggs and bacon.
Plus they’re vegan!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I substituted a half a cup with soy protein powder)
- 2 scant tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar (I use 6 packets of stevia)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp warm water, set aside for 5 minutes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/2 cups curdled almond milk (mix the almond milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Dipped in my favourite dipping sauce – 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter whisked with 1/4 cup syrup.
Don’t be fooled, these pancakes taste like they’re healthy. But why mask that wonderful flavour? It’s just a miracle I didn’t add bacon to them.
P.S. If granola is your thing, then you should check out this post.