Daily Archives: January 1, 2010
Happppeeee New Year!!! Are we all excited for January? I am! It’s my birthday month :D I’ll be 24 in three weeks. I’m at that point in my twenties where it’s all starting to blend together. I’m also in denial that I’m a grown up, but I’ve heard that lasts well past your forties? :P
Anyways, I realized I never did a Things I Learned This Month for December. Those are usually my favourite posts to write, and I didn’t want to let it pass me by! But I thought, since I did a Year In Review yesterday, it would only be fitting to expand it to a Things I Learned This Year. Or, erm, last year. Whatever, I’m late at doing this, you get it.
Things I Learned in 2009
1. Listen to my gut. There are a few things I could have avoided in 2009 had I just listened to my instincts. I probably would not have ended up in the wrong job for me after graduation. In fact, I would not have tried to work in journalism at all.
2. Don’t do things just because others expect you to. Along the same lines. I made choices in 2009 because I knew it’s what my family, professors and friends would like. Unfortunately, they don’t always know what’s best for me!
3. Be honest. Don’t say things just to please others. I could have avoided a lot of messes had I just been upfront with people about how I was feeling. Even something as simple as saying “I’m fine” when I’m really not can be detrimental. This is one thing I am still very conscious of and find myself working on daily.
4. I wasn’t born athletic, I have to go at my own pace. During my numerous training attempts this past year, I would get disappointed that I wasn’t as fast or strong as those around me. I have to constantly remind myself that I’m am still very new to this athletic lifestyle. Running 8-minute miles, or doing pull-ups, just aren’t achievable for me – yet. Maybe I’ll get there someday, but I just have to accept it will take time.
5. I have to give up on who I used to be and accept who I now am. This is a newer lesson for me, having really only learned it this past month. I’m not a boozer anymore, I don’t want to party at the bars till close anymore. I don’t have many of the same interests, I think my sense of humour has even changed. Part of this is getting older, part of it is that I’ve just changed a lot over the past couple years. It’s time I start embracing who I now am. I think doing that will help a lot in my goal of living life too ;)
Obviously, there were many other little things learned over the past year. But sitting here today, these five things really jump out at me. They are five things I’m going to continue to reflect on as I move into this new year. For once, I don’t have it all mapped out, I have no idea what this year will bring. To be honest, I’m completely excited about the prospects!! It will hopefully be a whole new learning adventure for me :)
I must also say that 2009 has been a year of new friends. I started blogging in January 2009, and I cannot believe the scores of wonderful bloggers and readers I’ve “met” since then! I had no idea when I started blogging that I would stumble across this smart, kind, passionate, supportive, funny and entertaining community. Case and point, I came home today to Christmas cards from two of my fave blogettes.
Yes, everything takes forever to get here because I live in the armpit of Canada :P Thank you soooo much Janetha and Sophia!! Your cards will be proudly displayed on my fridge that is slowly being taken over by bloggie notes and cards. Gah! I love you ALL!! <3
Don’t hate, but I’m skipping the monthly goals this month. I want my main focus to be settling into my new job, and completing the course requirements for my personal training certification (exam is in beginning of February). However, I’m thinking of hammering out a legitimate strength training plan for myself now that I’ll be on a regular work schedule. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll be sure to share :)
Aaaand, last but not least, I had a great New Year’s Eve, why thank you for asking ;) I noshed on some sketchy deep-fried chicken balls and only drank two cups of champagne. I feel like crap today after getting to bed so late (3:30am!!). Only reinforces Lesson #5 – that I’m just not into partying like I used to. There are pictures on someone else’s camera that I will try to track down. As if brought my new baby Rebel XS to the party with me!!
Question of the Day: What did you learn in 2009?