A new perspective
I’m seeing everything with new eyes today – I got contacts!! That’s right my friends! My position on the “nerd scale” has officially been downgraded (unfortunately not eliminated – my love for Harry Potter and Alton Brown will never allow that).
I got glasses two years ago for seeing far away. I became pretty reliant on them and just started wearing them all the time. But sometimes I’d like to go see a band, or be on TV, without looking like a dork. Also, now I can wear sunglasses when biking and driving. Yay!
I lovelovelove all the suggestions I got for sleeping well. As promised, here’s a little summary of the tips left in the comments:
- Turn off the TV and computer and take 10-30 minutes to relax and unwind
- Focus on breathing, relaxing your body from your toes to the top of your head (this reminds me a lot of corpse pose in yoga!)
- Stick to a schedule, go to bed at the same time every night
- Instead of counting sheep, count the things you’re grateful for
- Melatonin. A natural hormone found in many foods and also sold as a supplemental sleep aid
- Put a little lavender oil on your pillow and sheets
- Make a to-do list and organize everything you need to do the next day so you’re not up worrying about it
- Drink some warm milk
- Cut back on caffeine
Okay, seriously you guys, I am so impressed. These are all awesome suggestions! Many I’ve heard and tried, but just reminds me there are tons of options for when I can’t sleep. I can’t wait to try these!! Wait, no, I hope I don’t need to try these, but you know what I mean ;)
I slept in the opposite direction again last night and got some good zzz’s in. Stumbled out of bed at 6 am and went to the campus gym. I wonder how long I’ll be able to go there until they realize I’m no longer a student??
5 minutes on the elliptical
15 minutes “MIIT” on the elliptical
15 minutes on the rowing machine
Alternating (3 sets each):
Wide-grip lat pull-down
Dumbbell prone Cuban snatch
Alternating (3 sets each):
Didn’t do any lower-body stuff just in case my thigh acted up again. It’s feeling pretty good now though, so I may do a lower-body workout this weekend. We’re supposed to get a hurricane, so biking is out of the question this weekend!
You’ll never guess what I had for breakfast after…
Waffles, PB, yogurt, blueberries. Paired this with a PVL peach whey cooler. I finished off the jar of PB, except it’s in a plastic jar! So I couldn’t do oats-in-a-jar with it, total bummer!! I should write President’s Choice and tell them that they need to start using glass jars so I can put my oats in there :P
Supper was so good last night, I prepared the same thing for lunch today:
Eaten in my work car (hence the pasty leg in the background). Mashed up tofu, laughing cow cheese and green onion on whole wheat with spinach and tomato. So simple and SO good.
I had melt-in-your-mouth-peach that almost melted away from the camera.
Hm. Does half-eaten food even look appetizing?
I still had tofu on the mind come suppertime, so I polished off the rest of the block for dinner. I made a salad mountain.
Still don’t believe me?
I don’t know why, but salads don’t taste as good to me when eaten out of a huge bowl. Too bad, because I bet it’s a lot less messy!
- peeled zucchini (last of the giant market stuff)
- peeled carrot
- tofu, cubed and sautéed
- nutritional yeast
- sundried tomato dressing
Needed more hummus :P
A prune. Fun fact: I have a little sumthin-sumthin after dinner every night. Sometimes it’s a small piece of dark chocolate, a hard candy, chocolate chips, PB on a cracker, or a piece of dried fruit (dates and figs are good too!). Some people like to do larger desserts, but I prefer to save those calories for my large bedtime snack. But I still need something a little sweet after supper ;)
Okay, I have a bunch of random questions for you today:
1. What time do you usually eat supper? I eat around 5-6 pm, and I notice a lot people in the blog world eat much later! I am part senior citizen though…
2. How often do you replace the battery in your heart rate monitor? Mine’s been acting up, and I’m wondering if it needs new juice…
3. Do you wear glasses and/or contacts? Do you have a preference?
That’s all I got in me tonight! I should go move my kitchen table back into the kitchen (don’t ask..) but I may end up eating a frozen Vitamuffin and catching up on my Google Reader instead. See ya tomorrow!