Daily Archives: August 8, 2010
Remember that elusive cat I mentioned in yesterday’s post? Well, I went to bed armed with my camera last night ready for when he made his appearance.
He’s fast, getting this shot was not easy.
You see, my roommates and I have been cat-sitting for a couple weeks now. Mew Mew (the furry one’s given name) has thus far taken refuge in my roommate’s bedroom. But they are both out of town this weekend, which brought Mew Mew wandering into mine.
Mew Mew does not cuddle or purr. No. He will walk right up to you and aggressively start head-butting you in the face.
Do not be fooled. This is not “cute.” That is one thick-skulled feline. At one point my eyes starting watering because he conked me right in the nose.
I love all of God’s creatures, but dogs totally rule ;)
Before being attacked, I was reading my current book of choice:
The first in the Stieg Larsson series, thanks to the several recommendations I got for it in this post. (psst, click on that link and read the comments for tons of great summer books to read!)
Woke up after a glorious 8 hours of sleep with flapjacks on my mind, it’s Pancake Sunday after all ;)
My protein pancake batter consisted of:
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unflavoured soy protein powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond milk
For my dipping sauce, I mixed sugar-free syrup with mixed berry jam. Omg. Why don’t I do this more often??
All big plans I had for the day went out the window once it started raining. That paired with it being a Sunday made me want to stay in and tackle some chores!
When my family visited a few weeks ago, they brought all my stuff from New Brunswick (I only arrived in Toronto with three suitcases). The stuff has been piled in my closets untouched since then. Today, I created rightful spots for everything and my room is beginning to feel a whole lot “roomier.”
Broke for some Bbq Chicken Pita Pizza. Aka bbq marinated chicken breast on top of a pita with sauce, veggies, cheese, and stuck in the toaster oven for 15 minutes.
Fact: I have not used the oven since moving to Toronto. It’s too damn hot.
I started to get a little stir crazy after a while and wanted to do something after the rain cleared. In this ginormous new city of mine, that can mean a million things. Out of all the parts of the city I’ve so far explored, ironically I haven’t spent much time in my own neighbourhood!
I took a couple hours wandering up and down Queen Street East poking my head into antique shops, clothing shops, ice cream shops (not buying, but ya know, scoping out the goods), butchers, cheese shops and bakeries.
I found this one cute little bakery just off Queen on Logan Ave called Brick Street Bread. They had a million different kinds of artisan loaves, as well as some tasty looking sweets. They are expensive – $5 to $6 per loaf. But they provided samples for many so I knew what I was getting into first. Plus, why can’t a gal treat herself to a loaf of carbs once in a while? ;)
The girl at the counter said their Organic Basil & Parsley bread is their best seller – but I tried a taste of this Organic European Rye and knew it was mine.
I stumbled into a cheese shop, but I just could not open my wallet to the high-end prices. I did however find some good sausage.
Rowe Farms has tons of local, organic, free-from-all-the-bad-stuff meat. Most of it was horrendously priced, but if you looked hard enough, you could find something decent. These four Italian sausages cost me $5.
I continued on to the grocery store where I found my favourite kind of deal…
Expires on August 19?? Pfft, no problem ;)
I came home hungry after exploring my ‘hood all afternoon, so I whipped up something quick.
- 1 chopped Italian sausage
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 head of green cabbage
- sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 a zucchini
- 2 tbsp pizza sauce
- oregano, basil, parsley
All topped with cheddar cheese. Solid meal. Loved the sausage.
Weekly Goal Check-In!
Ahhh, yes, ‘tis that time of the week already. Let’s see how I’m doing one week into this month’s goals…
1. Eat out twice a week, at no more than $15 a meal. Technically, I only ate out twice. I spent $9 on a Freshii salad on Friday and $14 at the Greek fair on Saturday. However, I also spent $5 on a beer on Thursday and $5 on frozen yogurt on Friday. Does beer and dessert count? I sure hope not :P
2. Read more. I spent close to two hours reading a day this week. I spend a lot of time on public transit reading, then always for a bit before bed. Making progress on that Larsson book!
3. Do at least one outdoor activity a week. All I’ve done is tons of walking, which I’m going to say counts. A few times, I ditched the streetcar or bus and just took the extra 20-30 minutes to walk where I was going.
4. Look for part-time work and volunteer work. Thumbs down!! This week, promise!
5. Update my blog pages. Nope :( But I did get catch up on getting my content up on Healthbuzz.
6. Lose weight. I am by no means back normal, but I’m starting to feel better in skin. Progress. Honestly, I think this past week was my first week in two months where I didn’t eat a meal out every day. That alone made me feel a lot less puffy and better in my clothes. However, the battle still rages on! :P
You’re turn!! How did everyone else do on their goals this week??