New Month, New Goals!
Thank you for all the wonderful comments on the Things I Learned in February post! Those are some of my favourite posts to write, but I kind of selfishly love reading all the things you learn in the span of a month. For example….
Morgan learned “I need to be more patient. Good things come to those who wait! (and work hard)”
ellie said “the biggest thing I learned is that only I have the power to change my life.”
Angela learned that “fortune cookies are hard to make at home and look much uglier.”
Angharad said “Despite what I *think* my body can do, it NEEDS a rest day at least one day a week, if not more.”
So many good lessons among us!! Even better, it’s a whole new month. One for new discovery, new mistakes and many more lessons learned ;)
For example, today I already learned that the spin bike in front of the fan is the most coveted spot in the room. I live in a university town and it’s March Break, so all the
kids students are gone. Which means it’s pretty dead everywhere – including my gym! I credit my rest day yesterday and a constant stream of cool air to my kick butt spin class today. Felt goooood :)
I prepared a wonderful breakfast to devour once I got to the office.
Smoked salmon, laughing cow cheese, mustard, capers, tomatoes and spinach on an english muffin and a pear. But my hunger levels have been pretty low today (something I blame on the excessive amount of blondie eating I did yesterday which we won’t discuss). Anyways, I tossed the pear after a few bites.
Drank all my iced coffee though!
Mid-morning I dug into some low-carb banana bread.
Lunch was a beastly chicken and spinach salad.
My salad dressing was homemade again – Mae’s Pizza Cheese!
Unfortunately, I suffered from some digestive discomfort after this. My salad had 1/4 of an avocado that didn’t sit well in my tummy. Avocado usually does this, nothing like pineapple, but unpleasant nonetheless.
Carbonated drinks usually settle my tummy when it gets like this (ie I need to burp!). So I hit up the vending machine for some
aspartame diet pepsi.
I actually don’t care for pop that much, the bubbles hurt my tongue! But it at least did the trick ;)
Afternoon snackage was a couple of boiled eggs and a piece of cheese.
Perfect example of a low-carb snack. I’m trying to keep my macro ratios in check :)
Dinner was random, but still turned out pretty well!!
In the oven:
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- mushrooms, halved
In the frying pan:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- few shakes ground cumin
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- Many more cumin shakes, plus a dash of curry and chili powder
Dessert was a new chocolate bar:
Like how my nail polish matches the wrapper? This picture may have been set up to highlight that…
Luuurved the raisins in the chocolate. I may have gone back for another square ;)
So now that it’s March 1st, it’s time for me to set some new goals for the month! First, let’s look back to the goals I set for February:
1. Work out no more than 6 hours a week. I know this is kind of a backwards goal, but I am seriously addicted to endorphins. If I don’t watch myself, I can over-train and injure very easily. Here’s a weekly breakdown:
Week 1 – 5 hours, 25 minutes
Week 2 – 5 hours, 18 minutes
Week 3 – 5 hours, 4 minutes
Week 4 – 5 hours, 38 minutes
Met goal and for the first time in a long time, I didn’t have to take an extended break at some point this month because I wore myself out at the gym :)
2. Say yes more. YES!! My best friend asked me to go to Halifax – yes! I wanted to move to Toronto – yes! Hung out with some new people – yes! Took on some challenging work projects – yes!! Actually, I don’t think I had anything to say no to.
3. Make more leftovers. I finally succeeded at this one! I never had access to microwaves or refrigerators in past jobs, so making food with leftovers was always tricky. I could never repurpose them for lunch. But now that I can, every single week I whipped up something random like tonight’s meal and lived off it for the rest of the week. Makes meal time so much easier!
4. Eat more fat. Obviously, I did this one, read my Fatty February wrap-up to hear more!
So what’s on tap for March??
1. Work on getting my car sold and apartment subletted. Yes, this is number one. There’s a lot of things I need to do before I move to the tee-dot in June, but I can’t start building a life there, until I tie up the loose ends here.
2. Apply for a bazilion jobs in Toronto. Cause someone’s gotta bite…right?
3. Take more initiative at work so I can finish my contract knowing I made a mark. I’m exactly halfway through my four-month contract as a communications officer at my old university. I feel very comfortable there now and I do not want to coast through the rest of my time there. I want to bring more to the table and make the most of this wonderful career opportunity that has been given to me.
4. Learn as much as I can about personal training. I’m doing my in-class component of the course the last two weekends in March. I want to finish my textbook and online class work before then. And I want to fill my brain with as much info as I can before my exam in April, and eventual on-the-job experience.
5. Run outdoors again. It’s March! It’s almost spring! The streets are slushy and full of black snow, but it’s at least above zero! I think it’s time my new running shoes get broken-in outdoors ;)
Question of the Day: Your turn! What are your goals for March?
Posted on March 1, 2010, in Challenges, Workouts and tagged avocado, chicken, chocolate, eggplant, goals, hummus, low carb sweet bread, nutritional yeast, pepsi, pizza cheese, salad, smoked salmon. Bookmark the permalink. 35 Comments.